Monday, March 9, 2009

Cutting the Cord

I have a song titled, "Cut The Cord" - some say it's their favorite. It's a song that talks about the fact that we as parents can be WAY to protective when it comes to the safety of our children. OK, protection and safety = not bad; OVER-protection = is bad. My point is, if we don't allow our kids to understand the results of their negative actions, we are stunting their ability to grow and mature. What they will learn is mom and dad will take care of it and believe me that mindset can continue with them into and through out adulthood.

For those who have the Factory Hits vol. 2 CD, take some time and listen to the words (yes, I know they are fast). What you'll hear is your kid CAN NOT make it into Heaven by using your life or your faith, they MUST have their own. So hold your ground and let them fall a few times.
See, life’s not always sweet, it’s sour and it’s bitter
It’s more than a coloring book, and some glue and some glitter
I need some healthy fear consequences that are clear
I need some bumps and bruises, some blood, some sweat, some tears
(Excerpt from "Cut The Cord" © 2007 Ty Jones)

No comments:

Post a Comment